Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 4 - Inspiring Peer Environment

Isn't this a creative rendition of "Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer"?
You guys had such profound things to say at our discussion on perfectionism. You thought of analogies I hadn't considered and I enjoyed your willingness to help one another by contributing your thoughts and your way of seeing things. I sure love you all!

A talented young lady in our class wrote the following poem last week, I thought it went well with what we talked about: The Dangerous Mirror.

I was going to put pictures of our activity on here, but I haven't transferred them to the computer yet - they are still on my phone, but you can see them on a blog post I wrote about it and read some of my take home-messages from our discussion here.

This week we have an evening activity so we are meeting later (from 6-10 instead of 2:30-4:30). If you are coming here from the ACT class that ends at 5 - you can bring a couple of dollars and we can order some pizza for those who wants to eat before class (maybe let me know ahead of time so I can have enough pizza ready.) We will be having an activity and discussion on Old Fashioned Girl, doing service and playing some fun games.

Also, if you have any sports equipment or like new (gently used) clothes of any size you can donate to an orphanage in Mexico, please bring those with you. I will be taking them to someone who is going to Mexico and can deliver them. We will be working on some fleece blankets for them too while you are here. If you want to donate any of your money to help pay for the fleece, please let me know so I can know how much I can buy.

Our Inspirements for the week are:

Fri. January 29th 6-10:00 pm
  1. Read On Writing Well Intro-Chapter 5 (page ix-31)
  2. Finish Old Fashioned Girl if you have not yet done so.
  3. Email me 2 questions: One addressed to the girls in the class and one addressed to the boys. * See instructions below.
  4. Read: Guidepost 3 on GOI
  5. Work on your own goal from Guidepost 2 on perfectionism. We'll ask you how it went at the beginning of class.
  6. Be working on your own creative project - if you are having a hard time thinking of ideas, I would love it if you guys could think of some creative ways to share our poem, scripture, song or theme (perfectionism vs wholeness) at the family presentation in March. Let me know if you have any ideas to throw out to the class so I can be sure to give you time on Friday.

*Question instructions: Old Fashioned Girl highlighted 2 different environments - one that seemed to focus on fashion, gossip, crushes and position. The other on finding mission, blessing others, doing right and reaching potential. Ask questions that can help you understand how you can best establish the latter (or why would want to) in our class or in any other environment (home, church, dances, other classes, etc) If it goes well, maybe we can share our message in some way - like a video - with others who want some principles about why and how to do this in their own sphere.Your questions can be general like, "What can a girl do to bring out the best in the young men around her?" Or more specific to the book like, "Mr. Sidney said ______ - do you agree with him? Why?"  Let me know if you have questions about this.

 So don't forget there are 3 things to email me about asap:
1. Do you want pizza Friday before class? (bring $2)
2. Do you want to donate any money for fleece?
3: 2 or more questions - at least one for the boys and one for the girls (yes you can ask the same question to both if you want) -  they will be anonymous to the class so you can feel free to ask whatever you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment